Recently while browsing one of the beauty Sub-Reddits I like to follow (can’t remember which one, but check out this post for some good ones!) I came across a question about wearing foundation. The poster asked if it was OK for her to still wear makeup even if she didn’t have foundation on. This question seemed crazy to me, of course you can!!!!! Then, I took a step back to think about it, I’m not and never have been a foundation wearer and I wear a crap-ton of other makeup, so of course it seems totally fine to me. That’s when I realized I wanted to write about not wearing foundation but still rocking 100 other layers of makeup 😉
The main reason I don’t wear foundation is because I just really hate the feeling of foundation. I’ve tried probably 10 at this point and I’ll like them for a few days and then realize I can feel them on my skin and would rather just not wear any. Another reason is that when I first got into makeup I had really nice skin. I had some acne scarring and the occasional pimple but for the most part was pretty lucky. So, all I did was apply a bit of concealer in places that needed it and then was on my way.
However, a little less than 2 years ago I switched birth control methods and got pretty bad acne. I included a picture below, unfortunately it’s not a great picture as I really wasn’t in too many pictures as I felt really uncomfortable with the sudden change in my skin. I went from combination skin to extremely oily skin with lots of acne all over my forehead, cheeks, and chin. At this point, I decided to give foundation another try, because I had all this acne so it was what I was “supposed” to do to wear makeup. I got a few different foundations and started playing around with them. Well guess what? I still hated wearing foundation. I thought it felt heavy, accentuated texture, clung to dry patches and slid off in the oily areas.
Now, I’m still dealing with some of the acne but much less than before. My skin is much less textured and overall is doing much better (skincare routine coming soon). And these days, I’m still just wearing concealer under my full face of makeup.
Now that I’ve explained my no foundation history I think it’s time I explain why it can be a good choice for everyone. Let me start off by saying, however, this is not to discourage you from ever wearing foundation if you love it, this is to encourage you to not feel like you always have to wear foundation. You should wear makeup for no one but yourself so do whatever makes you feel great.
- Oftentimes, foundations emphasize texture and dry spots that concealer would not. I know for me, I don’t need to put concealer over colorless textured spots or over my dry patches when I had them and this helped to conceal them where foundation would accentuate them.
- For oily skin, only having to put concealer on spots instead of foundation on the whole face really helped for the longevity of my makeup as there were less cream products to slide off my face.
- If you’re going for a “natural” look, it is really nice to still see your skin shine through and helps it look even more natural.
- Similar concept as above, but when wearing a full face of makeup (smokey eye and all) I really like the contrast of natural looking skin with unnatural looking eyes. It is interesting to look at and gives a really cool contrast– highly recommend you try this.
- This is more personal, but if you hate the feeling of foundation like me then not wearing it feels amazing.
Again, I just want to repeat that if you love foundation then don’t stop what you’re doing. However, if you feel “pressured” by society to wear foundation then I highly recommend you try going without it to see how you feel. You only grow when you push the boundaries of your comfort zone. Also, I’d urge you to think about how often you notice other people’s flaws. Probably not often, right? That’s because we are self centered beings that focus on our own flaws, so when you go out, remember that people are probably too busy thinking about their own flaws to notice yours. 😉
OK, now that that is done let’s talk makeup!!! How do you just skip foundation? Easy, you literally just skip it. I personally still apply primer because it gives me a glowy and more flawless base. I still apply powder to my whole face because it helps my other products glide on smoothly. I apply concealer to all my spots or scars and blend it out with a sponge. Any left over I will run over my cheeks or any area with a touch of redness. I apply my concealer in a triangle shape under my eyes to brighten up the area, even though some people say not to do that without foundation I think it looks nice on me. So here is the order of products I apply (I’ve also included the products I used in the pictures in this post):
- Primer: L’Oreal Magic Lumi Cushion and Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer
- Concealer: On my face Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 10 and 15. Around my eyes I use the Bare Minerals Bare Skin Serum Concealer in Fair and Light (4 concealers because I’m extra and it’s hard to find a perfect color match)
- Powder: RCMA No Color Powder
- Contour: Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder in Medium
- Bronzer: Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer in the shade Bronzer
- Blush: Milani Baked Blush in Berry Amore
- Highlight: Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana (applied VERY liberally because I love this stuff) and Essence Pure Nude Highlighter
- Brows: L’Oreal Brow Stylist Definer in Brunette (I sort of hate this, just waiting to recieve my new Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz) and L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper in Light to Medium
- Eye Shadow: A bit of bronzer in the crease. Physicians Formula Eye Booster is my eyeliner (I kid you not it survived a blizzard)
- Setting Spray: Pure Bliss Makeup Setting Spray
- Lipstick: Maybelline Touch of Spice
- Mascara: Maybelline the Colossal Volum Express in Waterproof with The Mega Plush Volum Express also in waterproof. On my bottom lashes Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara (3 mascaras because I’m extra #noshame)
Generally speaking, if you do not know me and my personal feelings about foundation your probably can’t tell that I am not wearing it.
Need more inspiration? Check out the following videos of makeup without foundation:
- Thataylaa: She has cystic acne and loves to wear foundation but has come up with a no foundation routine that suites her.
- Kathleenlights: She has near perfect skin and wears foundation in most of her videos but mentions that she generally does not wear it day to day.
- Sharon Farrell: She does not have perfect skin but has worked hard to make it as nice as she can. She has a couple of nice no foundation makeup routines on her channel, I just linked my favorite.
- JKissa: She never ever wears foundation (yay!) because she does not like the feeling of it. She wears super bold and intense eye looks and she rocks it without foundation. I wish there were more YouTubers like her. All her videos are without foundation, I just linked a fun one.
If you are inspired to try out no foundation makeup because of this post, I’d love to see it! Tag @sophs_10 and @feminineboutiqueblog on Instagram so we can make sure to see your lovely faces!