A few weeks ago my mom borrowed one of my mascaras and was absolutely wowed by how good it looked. To be honest, it was a mascara sample I didn’t even like so I can’t even remember what it was called. My mom has been wearing the same mascara for probably the past two decades and has always insisted it’s a great mascara. We can get so stuck in our routines we don’t even really know what is “good” anymore (specifically talking about makeup but this applies to real life 😉 ).
That conversation got me thinking, I’m the type of person who absolutely loves makeup and trying new makeup so I am constantly trying different makeup. Does this mean I have way too much makeup? Yeah, absolutely, but I am able to have perspective on how I feel about each makeup item.
Next time you’re going back to the store to buy your favorite makeup item, I challenge you to try something new, you might be surprised what you discover. Beyond that, I also challenge you to try new things with makeup. We often get sucked up in using makeup just to make ourselves look better, but it’s an art too. The other day, I was inspired by a look by Allana Davison that had a neutral eye but with a bright blue on the inner corner. How cool and unique! I tried it out and really liked the results.
One of the reasons I enjoy following beauty influencers on YouTube and Instagram is to be inspired by new techniques, color combinations, or looks.
This post is a lot simpler than many of mine, but sometimes it is important to have a reminder to step outside of your comfort zone, because that is how you will grow.
Looking for a recommendation on the next new product to try? Here are my favorites by category:
- Primer: honestly still searching for my favorite primer, but I really enjoy the Makeup Forever Smoothing Primer
- Foundation: don’t wear foundation because I don’t enjoy it!
- Concealer: my current favorite is the Wet n Wild concealer, but I also really enjoy the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer.
- Powder: hands down my favorite is the RCMA No Color powder. All around an amazing powder.
- Bronzer: Doesn’t get better than the Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer (if you’re light to medium) otherwise I love the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil (also for light skin but there’s darker ones too!)
- Contour: I’ve tried quite a few and my favorite/easiest one to use is the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder in Medium (there’s light too now!).
- Blush: as you may have seen in my previous post, I love the H&M blushes. Definitely a must try.
- Highlight: Wet n Wild Reserve Your Cabana is my favorite highlight product ever. It’s just a sheen and brings light to the face, it’s awesome. However they are inconsistent so sometimes people get glittery ones. I also really like the ELF Highlight Palette. My preference is for natural and glowy highlights.
- Eyebrows: I love the Anastasia Brow Wiz, though I have not tried many eyebrow products. The few I have tried I hated so I always come back to the brow wiz. However, a truly amazing brow mascara is the L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper.
- Eye Shadow: this is really a personal decision. I have quite a few eye shadows and the best palette by far is my Viseart Dark Mattes Palette. However, that is super expensive. I also love the BH Take me (back) to Brazil Palette because it is full of vibrant awesome palettes. I recently bought some Colourpop individual eye shadows and so far so good. They’re only $4 so it’s easy to take risks on certain colors.
- Mascara: I’ve tried more mascara than the normal consumer, and I always, always come back to the same one. The Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Mascara (in waterproof for me) is my absolute favorite. It makes my lashes look full and long, but without looking clumpy.
- Setting Spray: I also have a post all about my favorite setting spray. I’ve also tried a bunch of setting sprays but this one I love so much I have a backup bottle ready to go. Check it out here.